Saturday, August 14, 2010

Gustav's

I was grateful that it was once again time to go out and find a new establishment to try. Somehow, it seemed like it had been a long time since our last post and I was looking forward to this visit. We were out Friday doing a little hobby income business when it occurred to us that it was past dinner time, we were hungry, and the outside temperature was somewhere in the nineties. Cooking didn't sound like a great idea so we chose to go "exploring".



We thought between us for a few moments and then the suggestion of German cuisine was offered and agreed upon. Gustav's is an off shoot of the Rheinlander but is a bit more casual. That was perfect as we weren't exactly dressed to the "T" if you know what I mean. When we arrived, we noticed that the parking lot was full which is always a good sign. Of course, here in Portland Gustav's patrons share parking with Rheinlander patrons. I probably should note that there are four Gustav's located in the greater Portland area if one includes the Vancouver, WA annex across the river and the Washington Square location on the westside.



We entered the doors and gave our name to the hostess. At this point we were asked our preference between eating inside or out. We chose outside but somehow the wires got crossed and they ultimately seated us inside which to be honest was probably better due to the ambient temperature outside. It probably took 20 minutes to seat us which I think is pretty good on a Friday evening at around 6:00 pm.


The waiter was friendly, helpful and knowlegable regarding the menu. We chose to start the evening with the swiss cheese fondue. It comes with at least three different european style breads to enjoy.


Debbie's selection was:
Mushroom schnitzel ~ grilled chicken breast & portabella mushroom, roasted garlic, feta cheese 13.95
She enjoyed her meal and I also got the opportunity to appreciate a taste of the mushrooms and the chicken. I concurred wholeheartedly with her opinion. It was delightful!


My selection was:
Jagerschnitzel ~ top round veal or chicken breast grilled, with shiitake, button and oyster mushrooms, creamy paprika sauce and seasonal vegetables (veal 15.25,
chicken 13.25)
In english it means hunter's schnitzel. I chose the veal as (don't tell anyone) I had never had veal before. It was tender, flavorful, and a true joy to consume. My plate also came with green beans which were done perfectly to my palate and spatzel, an egg noodle starchy food that was ok I guess. It apparently is popular in some of the middle european countries. To me, they were like tiny doughy dumplings. They weren't bad, only different than food to which I am normally accustomed.


Overall, the experience was completely pleasant. We were never rushed which I always appreciate when I am eating. I would go again in a minute and believe that I can recommend this place without reservations.

1 comment:

Sheree said...

Oh my gosh, now I'm wanting some German food at 9:30 on a Sunday morning!

Debbie's dish looks more appetizing than the one you selected, but yours is stirring up a craving for Veal, which I haven't had in a very, very long time!

I'm curious if the roasted garlic on the chicken dish was eatable? I love roasted garlic but often find it not roasted quite long enough.

Thanks again for sharing these reviews. Even though I don't live in the area nor eat out often, I feel like I am eating out vicariously through the two of you!